Five examples of influential mentoring relationships
If you are a newbie in the mentoring industry or want to take some tips from others and their experiences, want to know the reason for their success, and how they had successful mentoring relationships, you can look at the extraordinary examples of these mentoring relationships.
It clearly states what you are lacking and what improvements you need to make to have a successful business in mentoring relationships.
Let us look at a few effective mentoring relationships around the world that have inspired many to establish their business in this market.
- Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg
- Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were an incredible duo the world knows about. Steve Jobs passed away in 2011, but before that, he disclosed that he was the mentor of Mark Zuckerberg while writing his biography.
- They first met during these sessions. After Steve’s death, Zuckerberg announced that Jobs was mentoring him, and in return, he paid tribute by offering a heart-warming speech as a gesture.
- The main point that individuals must note from their relationship is that they respect and celebrate each other’s work. They have the same goal and do welfare to the world through their work.
- Steve Jobs guided Zuckerberg in his initial days by helping him direct his attention toward his central aim while working for Facebook in the starting period. Steve also helped him in guiding with the places he should visit that will make his visions clear. Thus, with the help of Jobs’s assistance and mentorship, Zuckerberg established his goals with Apple.
- Steve and Mark’s mentor-mentee relationship shows the kind of mentorship every individual seeks. We must understand that partnership, patience, respect, and determination should go hand in hand with other things to have lucrative mentoring interactions.
- Oprah Winfrey and Maya Angelou
- The duo is an inspiration and example of one of the best mentor-mentee relationships the world has seen. Winfrey’s mentor Maya Angelou was one of the significant figures of the period who influenced many young seekers.
- They met each other when Oprah was a very young enthusiast, eager to learn from her all-time inspiration.
- Winfrey remarked that Maya Angelou was the main inspiration and clear point of her career, and she will always be a fan of her till her last breath. Winfrey mentioned her in her awarded book “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.”
- Their relationship was incredible and has taught us that you must be clear about what you want and where you will get it. Personal relationship advice always works wonders for people; hence, look for a mentor with whom you can maintain transparency and share your in-depth thoughts to accomplish your overall objective.
- Winfrey also shared that her mentor Maya Angelou taught her the value of the quote, “actions speak louder than words.” Thus, it inspired her to become what she is now.
- Warren Buffett and Bill Gates
- Warren Buffet and Bill Gates is another crucial influencing mentor relationship duo that has set various goals for people looking to form mentorships.
- They learn the importance of respect and politeness in their work through regular meetings and sessions with each other.
- Both convinced themselves to take time to get inspired by each other and look for a much broader perspective.
- We find that Buffet made Gates answer questions that raised many eyebrows and eventually displayed various approaches for any objective. They used to love meeting one another and having a good time with each other, and this opened many different aspects of things that no one could ever imagine on their own.
- The main learnings that we gain from their mentor-mentee relationship are numerous perspectives. When people interact, they come to know about various things that one hardly imagines.
- Another thing worth paying attention to in their relationship was a priority. It is vital to prioritize your time, people, and work. You must have a clear head while prioritizing and avoiding distractions.
- Buffet helped Gates understand how to become a great businessman and showed ways by showing the various levels of society. To achieve success, he must never neglect society’s poor and lower sections. He must be aware of everything from diseases that poor people suffer to different models of gadgets wealthy aristocrats enjoy.
- Simon Sinek and Ron Bruder
- Simon Sinek met Ron Bruder on a professional platform. Sinek had a doubt he felt Bruder might assist him with. So, he went out to Bruder, and at this point, their mentoring relationship began.
- The main point we learn from their relationship is that the relationship between a mentor and a mentee progresses over time.
- Mentoring relationships are a two-way track where the mentor and mentee learn from each other.
- Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams
- Steven Spielberg has inspired many people; among those, J.J. Abrams is one. They met each other in an event set up by Abrams when he was a teenage director and had directed some movies.
- They gradually developed a liking for each other and spent time mentoring each other on various topics.
- Spielberg was amazed by watching the creativity inside Abrams. He greatly supported him in his filmmaking.
- They even work together on multiple projects. We learn that Abrams learned various things from these mentorship sessions and it provided.